When planning your patient's next step for rehabilitation and skilled nursing services, consider the following before discharge:
- Where are they going?
- What support do they have there?
- What challenges or obstacles will the patient encounter at discharge?
then consider these functions and how a comprehensive skilled nursing and rehabilitation center such as Heartland Health Care Center or ManorCare Health Services can help your patient meet their goal of returning home safely.
- Has trouble following commands?
- Has trouble making needs known?
- Has trouble remembering?
- Gets agitated or distracted?
- Has problems with reading comprehension?
- Cannot understand complex conversation?
Eating and dietary function
- Holds food in mouth?
- Needs to be fed any part of the meal?
- Coughs or chokes with food or drink?
- Has recent weight loss?
- Has trouble preparing food and cleaning up?
- Needs to follow special dietary restrictions?
- Requires enteral or parenteral feeding?
- Needs diabetic education?
Mobility and positioning
- Has had a recent fall?
- Unsteady or holds onto something to walk?
- Not able to ambulate on curbs/steps/ramps/carpet/uneven surfaces?
- Leans in chair/wheelchair?
- Has slow/jerky head/arm/leg movements?
- Unable to cross busy street?
- Slides out of wheelchair?
- Has stiffness in hand/arm/leg?
- Unable to reach safely?
- Has difficulty managing stairs?
- Has a cast or external fixator device?
- has chronic pain or discomfort limiting movement?
Transfer and self management
- Needs to be moved with a lift?
- Needs help moving in bed?
- Needs help to transfer on varied height surfaces?
- Needs help combing hair?
- Needs help in/out of bed/wheelchair?
- Needs help on/off toilet?
- Needs help transferring into automobile?
- Needs help dressing?
- Needs help to lift and carry objects (on stairs if needed)?
- Needs help to handle uneven terrain?
- Needs help to safely cross busy street?
- Needs help to dust/mop/launder/vacuum?
- Needs help to maneuver around pets?
- Unable to manage multiple medications and medication schedule?
- On a medication that requires adjustment based on therapeutic blood levels?
- Unable to manage co-morbidities?
- Needs training in wound care cleaning and dressing?
- Nees training in I.V. line care (parenteral, central)? Presence of a port?
- Has any type of tube or drain (chest tube, Pleurx catheter, JP drain, etc)?
- Requires self-urinary catheterization?
- Has an ostomy or fecal pouch?
- Has a tracheostomy?
- Requires use of oxygen or suctioning?
- Has a pacemaker of LVAD?
- Is diabetic requiring regular blood glucose monitoring and insulin adjustments?
- Requires the use of any type of pump (pain, insulin, etc)?
- Has an infection requiring use of special infection control precautions?
- Requires peritoneal or hemodialysis?
- Presence of a graft site?
- Is at the end of life?